I have a hernia on my groin and I have basketball tryouts today. Is it safe for me to tryout? Its on my right side and its really close to the crease where my thigh meets my vagina

Dr. David Earle
Surgery

In brief: Should be fine

Base your activity level on your discomfort level.
You should be fine if it doesn't bother you. At some point however, you should see a general surgeon with experience in both open and laparoscopic hernia repair as we think that hernias are riskier to leave alone in women compared to men.

In brief: Should be fine

Dr. David Earle
Dr. David Earle
Dr. Robert Dorsey
Wound care

But you will need this fixed asap becuz if you are accepted to the team you will have a physical exam done and the hernia will be detected and surgery will be recommended.

Dr. Robert Dorsey
Dr. Robert Dorsey
Dr. James McClurg
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: This

This is a general surgery question not orthopedics.
You should consult a general surgeon to discuss the situation. It is not common for a female to have an inguinal hernia. The canal being smaller may put you at a higher risk of incarceration of the hernia. That would be an emergency situation.

In brief: This

Dr. James McClurg
Dr. James McClurg
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery