Will i need facial reconstruction after my cyst is removed? Is facial reconstruction necessary for everyone who has a facial or oral disfigurement? I recently discovered i had a benign cyst during a routine physical. Due to the fact that it is in my jaw a

Dr. Thomas Lamperti
Facial Plastic Surgery

In brief: Without

Without knowing the details of your mass, it's really hard to say whether or not you would need reconstruction after your cyst removal surgery.
In many cases the reconstruction involves closing the tissue defect that results from removing the original mass. Whether or not the mass itself even needs to be removed depends on what it is. If you're not sure if you want it removed you could consider getting a second opinion from another surgeon.

In brief: Without

Dr. Thomas Lamperti
Dr. Thomas Lamperti
Dr. Jeffrey Israel
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: When

When you say you have a cyst in the jaw area, are you speaking of a cyst in the skin overlying the jaw or a cyst in the bone of the jaw.
The answer to your qquestion is dependent on the place of the cyst. My colleagues have dealt well with the bone aspect. If the cyst is in the skin and small, it can be removed in a fashion that allows the defect closure to be put in what's called a relaxed skin tension line. This usually allows it to blend in nicely with exisiting skin creases. If the cyst is larger and or not in a capsule (more diffuse instead of discreet) then a larger excision with a flap closure is necessary. In any case, a well trained surgeon in facial reconstruction should be able to help and hopefully provide the least amount of scarring possible. Please be advised that everyone heals differently and that scars are not always flat and thin.

In brief: When

Dr. Jeffrey Israel
Dr. Jeffrey Israel
Dr. Tal Dagan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Reconstruction

Reconstruction of the face after removal of a jaw cyst may or may not be necessary depending on two factors.
Sometimes, depending on the size and location of the cyst, the removal of a cyst may actually create a physical defect that causes a change in jaw function that may make it hard to chew or may the jaw prone to fracture. In that case, the reconstruction is more for the jaw in order to strengthen it with a metal plate. However, sometimes when a cyst grows in the jaw for a long time and bulges outward it may cause changes in the surrounding structures that when the cyst is removed may actually cause a cosmetic collapse and cavitation of certain areas in the face that will cause a cosmetic deformity. Therefore, it is important to have a more informative meeting with your surgeon regarding the implications of removal of cyst in your jaw and what the expected outcome of removal is with and without reconstruction. If your surgeon claims the only implication of the removal of your cyst is cosmetic and you understand and accept the appearance and do not wish to have it corrected, then let him or her know your wishes. A surgeon should always accept the patient's wishes as long as they do not cause physical harm. Secondly, if there is the risk for physical harm to your jaw, like a possible fracture, listen to your surgeon because that may be a serious consequence with a very long and painful course of treatment if not corrected from the get go. I hope this discussion has been helpful.

In brief: Reconstruction

Dr. Tal Dagan
Dr. Tal Dagan