I have strep throat, and have been taking amoxicillin for two days. My throat feels better, but i can't quit coughing. My ears and throat feel swollen. Could this be allergies on top of the strep? If so can I take nasal spray or allegra on top of the amox

Dr. Jack Mutnick
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Strep throat

You are still dealing with the effects of the strep throat although you might have allergies on top of the infection.
Treat the strep throat first before treating anything else.

In brief: Strep throat

Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Joy Jackson

In brief: The

The coughing could be allergy related or could be an effect of an upper respiratory illness which is usually viral.
Both can be present in addition to the strep throat you were diagnosed with. You can take an anti-histamine as well as an over the counter cough medication. If the cough persists and you have high fever and chills, you may be dealing with another problem such as a pneumonia, and the Amoxicillin may not be sufficient. If this happens, you should go back to your primary care doctor for a follow up to report your new or worsening symptoms. Good luck.

In brief: The

Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Shontae Buffington