Why an open cervix during onset of menopause and is this causing constant bleeding? Have had a biopsy, blood work, ultrasound, and cryoblasion. Test results all fine, cryo not successful. Age 50 5'6" 122lbs

Dr. Joy Jackson

In brief: The

The cervix can remain open before an after menopause, although typically it will be slightly open and even appear closed to the naked eye.
The cervix being open does not cause constant bleeding, it merely is a portal so to speak for the blood to come out. The bleeding is likely coming from your uterus. Was the biopsy an endometrial biopsy, which is a biopsy of the lining of your uterus? Have you had a ct scan of your abdomen and pelvis? Typically when a woman is having constant vaginal bleeding and is peri or post menopausal then a hysterectomy may be an option. Did your doctor discuss this with you? Also are you anemic due to all the bleeding? If you are unsure, make sure you are tested right away. Please don't hesitate to submit further information.

In brief: The

Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Kenneth Spielvogel

In brief: Bleeding

I would not attribute abnormal bleeding to an "open cervix".
If you had cryo ablation of Uterus then a biopsy will not be a complete evaluation of the lining. I would express to your provider your concerns and desire to find the cause of your bleeding, even if it requires additional surgery.

In brief: Bleeding

Dr. Kenneth Spielvogel
Dr. Kenneth Spielvogel
Dr. Jane Van Dis