Can i breast feed with breast augmentation done through my umbilicus? In 2000, i had breast augmentation, the approach was through my umbilicus. My plastic surgeon is now retired and i've been unsuccessful reaching anyone at his old office to help me with

Dr. Jeffrey Roth
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Majority can

The majority of women who want to breast feed after breast augmentation can.
Some women cannot breast feed even if they never had implants. We usually advise to give it a try as breast feeding is a good thing for mother and baby.

In brief: Majority can

Dr. Jeffrey Roth
Dr. Jeffrey Roth
Dr. Tom Pousti
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Probably.

Most patients who undergo breast augmentation surgery are able to breast-feed successfully.
However, any type or breast surgery does carry risk of decreasing this ability. Exactly what percentage of patients are not able to breast-feed after consultation surgery is hard to determine since some women are not able to breast-feed despite not having had previous breast surgery.

In brief: Probably.

Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Michael Jazayeri
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: I

I always tell my patients who have never been pregnant or have breast fed, there is no way to answer this question accurately, since some patients are never able to produce enough milk regardless of any breast surgery.
My recommendation is try breast feeding once the baby is born. Even the act of breast feeding, regardless of milk production, will help you and your baby to bond more.

In brief: I

Dr. Michael Jazayeri
Dr. Michael Jazayeri
Dr. Joseph Mele
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Breat Feeding Rec

Breast feeding is recomended for most women regardless of whether they have breast implants or not.
Breast implants can sometimes decrease the amont of milk produced, most likely becuase the breast thinks it is full faster, but breast implants will not change or taint the milk produced.

In brief: Breat Feeding Rec

Dr. Joseph Mele
Dr. Joseph Mele
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: You can but risks?

The ability to nurse depends on whether the ductal system was interrupted or nerve supply to the nipple may have been compromised.
However, that is usually rare, and in most instances, women with a straightforward breast aug particularly if performed through the crease incision, are able to nurse. The next question is: if you can, should you? That is more difficult and there is great controversy.

In brief: You can but risks?

Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Ralph Rosato
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Yes you can

Breast augmentation does not interfere with breast feeding.

In brief: Yes you can

Dr. Ralph Rosato
Dr. Ralph Rosato
Dr. Jonathan Jassey