Otc medication for lipoma I have a painful lipoma and would like to know what OTC pain medication I should be taking for it. I am allergic to acetaminophen. Thanks so much for your help!

Dr. Ilya Iofin
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Possibly not lipoma

Lipomas tend to be painless.
There are other benign tumors, like hemangiomas, schwannomas and fibromatosis which may be painful. Synovial sarcoma, a type of cancer, can also be painful. See an orthopaedic oncologist to have this evaluated. An MRI will likely be required. Treatment will be determined by what this mass turns out to be.

In brief: Possibly not lipoma

Lipomas tend to be painless.
Dr. Ilya Iofin
Dr. Ilya Iofin
Dr. Mary Engrav
Emergency Medicine

In brief: A

A lipoma is usually painless.
It is unusual for it to be painful. That worries me that it may be infected. If it continues to hurt, or if you get any redness, red streaks, or fever then you must be seen immediately. There is no over the counter treatment for lipomas, they must be surgically removed.

In brief: A

A lipoma is usually painless.
Dr. Mary Engrav
Dr. Mary Engrav
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery