I have just passed a very hard and painful black stool. Should i go to the ER and get checked? For a while I have been having hard stool and recently it had black 'chips' in them and a couple days ago it became more frequent and harder. Now it is painful

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge

In brief: Black

Black stool and black 'chips' in your stool could definitely be a sign of blood.
Blood in the stool is typically manifested by tarry, black stool or coffee grounds (or frank red blood). It is crucial that you seek medical attention to assess if you are bleeding internally. If you are feeling painful abdomen, firm abdomen, and/or light headedness, go to the emergency room. It is appropriate to bring a sample of your feces with you to the doctor, as long as it is in a sealed/clean container. This way, you can have your stool assessed for blood. Seek medical attention.

In brief: Black

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine