What can I do about the breast augmentation scar that is now hardening?

Dr. Bauback Safa
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Compression/massage

Scars continue to remodel/mature for up to a year after surgery.
Once healed, scars begin to harden and become red/raised before softening up again. Manual scar massage is highly effective. Other topical compression modalities also exist such as taping (with paper tape), silicone gels or sheets. These are available via the internet or at plastic surgery offices. Examples are mederma and scarfade.

In brief: Compression/massage

Dr. Bauback Safa
Dr. Bauback Safa
3 comments
Dr. Bryan McIntosh
Scar Guard and silicone gel sheeting are additional options.
Dr. ELizabeth Kinsley
Mepiform and silicone tapes will help soften the scar. Massage is great
Dr. ELizabeth Kinsley
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Massage

Scars that are still healing may respond to massage- use any kind of lotion or cream.

In brief: Massage

Dr. ELizabeth Kinsley
Dr. ELizabeth Kinsley
Dr. Frederick Coville
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Another thought

I was just thinking that you should make sure we are talking about the scar and not a hard "cord" that sometimes develops after cosmetic breast surgery.
They are called "mondor's cords" and they form just under the skin near the breast very near the site of breast surgery scar.It is the result of an inflamed blood vessel and will usually resolve with massage. See your surgeon if it doesn't improve.

In brief: Another thought

Dr. Frederick Coville
Dr. Frederick Coville
Dr. Payman Danielpour
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Massage

Massage the scar daily.
Apply silicone sheets. Steroid injections. All good solutions.

In brief: Massage

Massage the scar daily.
Dr. Payman Danielpour
Dr. Payman Danielpour
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Scar or contracture.

Silicone gels, pressure and massage are the mainstays of scar therapy followed by steroid injections and lastly surgery.
Contracture treatment is enigmatic because the cause is not clearly understood. Presently non-surgical treatment suggests prevention with implant displacement & use of leukotriene esterase inhibitors (accolate/singulair) and surgical release, implant exchange, pocket change, etc.

In brief: Scar or contracture.

Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Todd Sisto
Breast Surgery

In brief: See a plastic surgeo

Options include paper tape, silicone gel, mederma, injections and revision with surgery and even low-dose radiation therapy.
Should see asps plastic surgeon asap.

In brief: See a plastic surgeo

Should see asps plastic surgeon asap.
Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. Jason Lichten
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Multiple options

There are many different scar creams out there with varying degrees of science behind them and clinical information.
In my office, we offer skinmedica's scar recovery which has shown good early results.

In brief: Multiple options

Dr. Jason Lichten
Dr. Jason Lichten
Dr. Frederick Coville
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Some other ideas

Other options to help the scar before it matures include microdermabrasion while the scar is still red, tretinoin cream and chemical peels.
I also like to use microneedling in the more mature scars. If it's too far, then surgery and starting over may be the best option.

In brief: Some other ideas

Dr. Frederick Coville
Dr. Frederick Coville