I have pain on my joints at my arms and shoulders my shoulder joints at my arms hurt really bad when i stretch out my arms to reach for something. They even hurt when i shampoo my hair. Why?

Dr. Joy Jackson

In brief: Joint

Joint pain is a common problem for many.
The most common causes of joint pain are arthritis, injury, and infection. There are many types of arthritis, osteoarthritis being the most common. This is usually a result of overuse of the joints. For instance if you worked many years in a job that required heavy lifting. Another type of arthritis that can be present is rheumatoid arthritis, this is an autoimmune condition, which basically means your body attacks its own tissue, which can lead to joint pain. In order to figure out why you are having this pain, your doctor will take a detailed history, perform a physical, and likely order blood tests and possibly even x-rays of the affected joints to help determine a cause. In the meantime, an over the counter anti-inflammatory medication like Ibuprofen or advil (ibuprofen) may help relieve your pain. Best of luck.

In brief: Joint

Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Timothy Mountcastle
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Arm pain

could be muscular neurological or arthritis

In brief: Arm pain

Dr. Timothy Mountcastle
Dr. Timothy Mountcastle