91 year old male with pain on left side about hip level but towards the back. No blood in urine. Could this be a kidney stone on Coumadin and flomax (tamsulosin). He has a huge protate and does not hydrate enough.

Dr. James Lin
Urology

In brief: Here are some ...

Clinically, I agree with my colleague stating musculoskeletal origin as a culprit for pain as described.
For a 91-year-old man, bring the detailed info on his voiding history and pain near left hip & lower back stressing their quality, quantity, and sequence of events over time to Doc for analysis, physical exam, & tests such as residual urine, urinalysis, renal function, etc. so to define cause

In brief: Here are some ...

Dr. James Lin
Dr. James Lin
Dr. Scott Dudak
Urology

In brief: More

More likely, this is musculoskeletal pain from the back/hip, not kidney.
A renal ultrasound would be reasonable to exclude swelling of the kidney, followed by imaging of the hip and lumbar spine.

In brief: More

Dr. Scott Dudak
Dr. Scott Dudak
Dr. John Leander Po
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Urinary retention...

Severe urinary retention can lead to pain associated to a uti, dilated renal system (hydroureter, hydronephrosis), or else a kidney infection (pyelonephritis) especially if a history of an enlarged prostate exists and even if he is prescribed flomax (tamsulosin).
A visit to the doctor is definitely needed since the elderly may not show typical symptoms of an adult with a complex urinary tract infection.

In brief: Urinary retention...

Dr. John Leander Po
Dr. John Leander Po
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine