Is my ear infection and what should I do? I had my 2 ear piercing done like a week ago and had to change the earing on the third day because it was getting a infection from stainless steel earring and i changed them to 14k gold but now it seems to be inf

Dr. William Lewis
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: It may be infected

Suggest you see your otolaryngologist you may need antibiotics.

In brief: It may be infected

Dr. William Lewis
Dr. William Lewis
Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: Signs

Signs of an infection are: redness, swelling, pain, and warmth to the touch.
You may or may not notice pus leaking from the site of infection. The best way to treat a piercing infection is to remove the piercing (in your case an earring) and call your doctor since you may need antibiotics. You then need to leave the piercing out, let the hole heal over and re-pierce when completely healed. Otherwise, if you replace an earring while the wound is still infected, the bacteria cling to the earring where the antibiotics cannot reach and continue to reinfect the site.

In brief: Signs

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Shontae Buffington