I am traveling to vietnam on oct. 31 and i forgot to take my typhoid vaccine a week before i travel. I will take the last pill t the instructions on the vaccine says i must finish taking vaccine one week prior to traveling. I forgot to take one beek befor

Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: For

For maximum protection (which is 50%-80% immunity against one strain of typhoid), the vaccine should be finished 1 week prior to possible exposure to give your body time to build an immunity.
Since you will be finishing the vaccine later, you may be at increased risk in that first week of catching typhoid if you are exposed to it. Typhoid is mainly transferred from person to person through water or food that has been contaminated with feces. The best way to protect yourself is to drink (and brush your teeth) with bottled water, do not use ice, and only eat fruits and vegetables that can be peeled or are well-cooked. You may also want to talk to your doctor about supplying you with antibiotics (a 3rd generation cephalosporin is recommended) just in case you do develop typhoid. That being said, there's a good chance you won't catch typhoid and will have great time in vietnam. Enjoy your trip - it's a beautiful country.

In brief: For

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Cindy Juster