Is dermabrasion effective for removing facial acne marks in teens? My 17-year-old daughter is fighting some terrible acne and scarring. I am not aware of any medical problems besides her acne. Can dermabrasion be used in the treatment of facial acne marks

The . The first step is to get the acne under control. Although accutane-like drugs require careful monitoring and can have potential side effects, they do work for severe acne that has not responded to typical prescriptions. Nonsystemic drug options include isolaz and photodynamic therapy for reducing acne, but... If she truly has severe acne, chances are she needs an rx oral program along with rx topicals. If the acne is in constant flare, no scar treatment will be effective as the continued cycle of tissue destruction will be in play. No teen should have to endure the psychological ravages of acne, so I do hope you will seek out a qualified acne specialist who has all the tools at hand. Dermabrasion is a messy and risky procedure that few doctors use. Fractional lasers have become the gold standard for acne scarring. It is far more tolerable with low risk. Depending on your daughter's ethnic heritage, she can embark of a series of treatments with or without pre treatment for potential post inflammatory hyper-pigmentation. Fraxel and other fractional erbium lasers cause new collagen growth so the scarred areas build up to become more level with unscarred skin. It is a process and can't be completed in procedure. Most average patients with scars see decent improvement after 4 to 5 sessions. Severe scarring may require some subcision (undercutting the scar floor first) followed by fraxel. Residual redness can be reduced with vascular lasers.
It . It is very important to treat the active acne before beginning treatment of the scarring itself. There are many possible treatments for acne available so you should find a dermatologist who can help get this under control.