Could you breastfeed after having breast reduction surgery?

Dr. Michael Beckenstein
Surgery - Plastics

Whie no large clinical studies have been performed on this topic, the usual quoted rate for breast feeding is 50/50.

Dr. Michael Beckenstein
Dr. Michael Beckenstein
Dr. Marguerite Barnett
Actually, i have performed many of these surgeries and so far, none of my patients have been unable to breastfeed.
Dr. Steven Harris
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Usually not

This is the major reason we try to get women to wait until their family is complete to undergo breast reduction.
Some times this is not possible, as the back, neck and shoulder pain is so severe that waiting makes no sense. Occasionally, it is possible for a woman to breast feed after breast reduction, and to my knowledge, there is no harm in trying. The benefits to the child are well worth it!

In brief: Usually not

Dr. Steven Harris
Dr. Steven Harris
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Possible

Yes, it is possible but it truly depends on the extent of resection, , possibility of nerve injury, the technique used.
Etc. It is also possible that you could not have been capable of nursing prior to breast reduction. I have performed breast reductions on several individuals who claim that nursing was difficult prior to surgery.

In brief: Possible

Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Bryan McIntosh
Surgery - Plastics

Unless the surgery is performed by removing the nipple and reattaching it, you should be able to breast feed.
However, it is likely that your milk production will be decreased to some extent.

Dr. Bryan McIntosh
Dr. Bryan McIntosh
Dr. Francisco Agullo
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Often

Many women can breast feed after breast reduction surgery, but not all.
If you require a free nipple graft you won't be able to.

In brief: Often

Dr. Francisco Agullo
Dr. Francisco Agullo
Dr. Todd Sisto
Breast Surgery

Not usually a problem.

Not usually a problem.
Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. Brian Klink
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Maybe

I tell my patients that they will probably not be able to breast feed after a breast reduction.
However, if a large amount for breast tissue is left connected to the nipple and ducts, it is possible.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Brian Klink
Dr. Brian Klink
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham