I had a very serious case of athlete's. I was wondering because I heard it can spread to the groin area. What is it called if the fungus moves to the groin area from the feet. Also what over-the-counter treatment can help fix the fungus

Jock itch. Athlete's foot is aka known as tinea pedis, a common fungal condition in the skin of the feet. If the fungus spreads to the groin, this is jock itch (tinea cruris). Otc products include creams, ointments, powder, sprays (lamisil, nizoral, tinactin, (tolnaftate) mycocide...) if the condition is severe and doesn't resolve, you may need to go to prescription strength meds, including oral agents (lamisil or onmel).
Athlete's. Athlete's foot (tinea pedis) can spread to the groin area (tinea cruris) and is often called "jock itch." ask the pharmacist which over the counter medicine would be good - otherwise prescription strength would require an appointment with a dermtatologist.