What would it be called if I have very sharp pains in my thumb and it gets swollen and numb? I've had it in a thumb splint tipe thing and have takin pain medicane.

If local then arthri. If your symptoms are confined to thumb only then arthritis in one of the thumb joint is possible.
This . This sounds like it could be carpal tunnel syndrome, arthritis, or something called de quervain's tenosynovitis. Carpal tunnel syndrome-caused by a pinched or compressed nerve in your wrist, can lead to the symptoms you described thumb arthritis -inflammation of the joint in your thumb causing pain and swelling, less typically numbness. De quervain's tenosynovitis-inflammation of a tendon on the thumb side of your wrist. This can cause pain and swelling of the thumb, and is worse when writing or using the thumb. Your primary provider will be able to make a diagnosis after a complete history of this problem, directed physical, and possible lab tests or imaging (i.e. X-ray). For now the thumb splint is a good idea, resting your hand whenever possible, icing the thumb, and continuing over the counter pain medication. Try an anti-inflammatory medication (ibuprofen, or motrin) good luck. Hope you feel better soon.