I am a breast cancer survivor since 2007. I had clear test results, clear margins, clear lymphnodes and bone scan in 2007. Now, I am having pain in hips. Why could it be?

Dr. Travis Kidner
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: Tell your doc

Breast cancer survivors should alert their treating physicians as to any new bone pain.

In brief: Tell your doc

Dr. Travis Kidner
Dr. Travis Kidner
Dr. Raymond Taillefer
Nuclear Medicine

In brief: X-ray or bone scan

If you are having pain in both hips, it is unlikely that this pain is related to bone metastases from your breast cancer you had more than 6 years ago.
Hip arthritis or arthrosis is a possible explanation and an x-ray or a control radionuclide bone scan would be helpful to evaluate the cause of your bilateral hip pain.

In brief: X-ray or bone scan

Dr. Raymond Taillefer
Dr. Raymond Taillefer
Dr. Lauren Stegman
Radiation Oncology

In brief: If

If the pain is persistent and especially if it is worse at night, with weight bearing, or radiates from your back to your hips or your hips to your knees, you should get checked out by your physician.
If it is as simple as arthritis he or she may be able to help you feel better and you will likely be reassured having someone double check that the pain is not cancer related.

In brief: If

Dr. Lauren Stegman
Dr. Lauren Stegman
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham