I need to know if I should get a mri. My shoulder started hurting, after i did some sets on the bench. I went to the doctor, and he told me to rest it for a month. It's been about 5 weeks, and i'm still having discomfort in my shoulder. The pain is not as

Dr. Vivek Agrawal
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Diagnosis?

Before moving ahead with advanced imaging i would recommend a better history and physical with a shoulder specialist.
We need a better handle on this before determining the best diagnostic testing. For instance, an arthrogram with an MRI may be a better option if your exam is worrisome for an unstable shoulder, etc. You may have also just sprained your ac joint and a shot may do the trick..

In brief: Diagnosis?

Dr. Vivek Agrawal
Dr. Vivek Agrawal
Dr. Mary Engrav
Emergency Medicine

In brief: As

As you state it is getting better, it would be reasonable to have your doctor or a physical therapist instruct you on some gentle exercises and observe it.
It is re-assuring that you can lift the arm up and down without pain. But if you continue with discomfort, if you have any catching, locking, or decreased range of motion, then an MRI would be reasonable.

In brief: As

Dr. Mary Engrav
Dr. Mary Engrav
Dr. Jack Hinkle