Artefill is a relatively new wrinkle therapy. Is it safe? Artefill has recently come on the market as a face wrinkle therapy. In the past, some others have had adverse side-effects. I want to make sure I am getting the safest solution to my wrinkle proble

Dr. Tal Dagan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: I

I agree 100% with the comments made regarding artefill.
Although artefill has been in the market for cosmetic treatment only since 2003 (first in europe, then in 2006 it was approved by the us fda), the active ingredient in artefill, pmma, has been used for decades (50+ years) in a variety of medical applications including intraocular lenses to treat cataracts, and artificial joints. Since artefill is a long lasting filler, it should be administered by an experienced facial plastic surgeon or cosmetic surgeon who deals primarily with the face. I absolutely agree that asking for before and after pictures as well as asking questions regarding the physicians experience and expertise specifically in injecting artefill are important. Do not be shy to ask your doctor how experienced he or se is. It should be as natural as interviewing a babysitter who will be taking care of your precious kids. Artefill is a safe injectible and has gone trough the scrutinizing eye of the United States food and drug administration testing as well as the european pharmaceutical regulatory agencies for safety and effectiveness as a cosmetic injectible. Always remember that adverse effects may be the result of any medical treatment. As physicians we are obligated to ensure that you receive any treatment in the safest possible way with the safest possible materials and methods.

In brief: I

Dr. Tal Dagan
Dr. Tal Dagan
Dr. Zahid Niazi
Cosmetic Surgery

In brief: Filler choice

Artefill has been around for a few years.
I used it in 2008 and 2009 but stopped as patients needed to have a test dose injected and read before using it. It was 2-3 times more expensive. It provided my patients a good result but for some the result was not as longstanding as the company claimed. There are other injectable fillers available which are also volumisers that you can consider.

In brief: Filler choice

Dr. Zahid Niazi
Dr. Zahid Niazi
Dr. Gregory Laurence
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: I

I am a cosmetic surgeon who has used artefill for about 5 years.
My experience has been exceptional in every respect. I like artefill's predictability and smoothness. Patient like the fact that they are paying for something one time, and getting (likely) 10-15 years of volume correction. It costs about twice what the other fillers cost, but over time it cost about a fifth of the others (over time). A great value. The make of artefill is a us company, and they are the only company that has submitted 5-years safety data to the fda. There are concerns with an filler, but the safety of all fillers are very high, if placed by an experienced injector. Ask to see 5 or 10 sets of before and after photos, and you'll know you got the right injector!

In brief: I

Dr. Gregory Laurence
Dr. Gregory Laurence