If I have genital herpes and i reach down and touch my bumps then touch my mouth can it spread to my mouth? Me and my partner both have genital herpes and we are wondering about the possibilities of spreading the virus.

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge

In brief: It

It is highly unlikely.
Herpes simplex virus 2 is a fragile virus, released from active (and latent) sores on the genitals and is spread by direct skin to skin contact with genitals or mouth. Having said that, it is possible to spread genital herpes to the mouth by way of direct contact. Also, it is best to avoid sexual contact when both of you have active sores. It is recommended that you each consider taking suppressive medication therapy to decrease the risk of outbreaks.

In brief: It

It is highly unlikely.
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Jane Van Dis