I have very severe back pain and i went to see a pa and she said it was a lipoma tumor. The lump on my lower back is mushy hard and causes a lot of pain up my back and it is hard to use the restroom now. I went back to see the pa andshe said it wasnt a li

Dr. Harold Rosenfeld
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: See a real doctor

Very rarely are lipomas painful, you need to be properly evaluated

In brief: See a real doctor

Dr. Harold Rosenfeld
Dr. Harold Rosenfeld
Dr. Azita Madjidi
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: See a physician

Lipomas in general do not cause pain unless compressed.
You need to see a physician.

In brief: See a physician

You need to see a physician.
Dr. Azita Madjidi
Dr. Azita Madjidi
Dr. Kenneth Stein
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Lipoma

Typically, lipomas don't cause severe pain and they certainly should not keep you from have bowel movements or being able to urinate.
You should see an internist who can refer you to a proper physician.

In brief: Lipoma

Dr. Kenneth Stein
Dr. Kenneth Stein
Dr. Joy Jackson

In brief: Regardless

Regardless of what she thinks it is, a mass that is causing pain needs to be evaluated further, either by imaging studies like an ultrasound or be biopsied or possibly removed.
A general surgeon will be able to examine you and advise you on the next best course of action. For now you can try an NSAID like Ibuprofen or advil (ibuprofen) for the pain. If this does not help your primary care provider may prescribe another medication until you are able to see a surgeon. Best of luck to you.

In brief: Regardless

Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery