My eyes are crusty in the morning and the lids are suddenlyextremely dry. I always us an eye creme, however the lids are still so dry and irritated. What should I do?

Dr. Richard Witlin
Ophthalmology - LASIK Surgery

In brief: See your doctor

You may have a condition called blepharitis.
This is a treatable condition of inflammation of the margins and glands of the eyelids. You need to consult an eye doctor for specific treatment. An over the counter lubricating creme will not address the problem.

In brief: See your doctor

Dr. Richard Witlin
Dr. Richard Witlin
Dr. Ajay Gupta
Ophthalmology

In brief: Your

Your symptoms suggest blepharitis, which means an inflammation of the eyelids.
This can be a chronic condition, but it can flare without a specific cause. An allergy is also possible. Treatment options may include the use of compresses (warm or cold, depending on the diagnosis) and antibiotic and/or anti-inflammatory ointments. An examination is necessary for an accurate diagnosis and to start indicated treatment. I recommend you see an ophthalmologist for further evaluation.

In brief: Your

Dr. Ajay Gupta
Dr. Ajay Gupta
Dr. Michael Ham
Ophthalmology

In brief: Dry eyes!

Sounds like you have dry eyes.
Use artificial tears (consider preservative free) and oral omega-3's to make them more moist. Use the tear drops one drop 3-4 times a day, every day. If no improvement, then see your eye md for full diagnosis and treatment plans.

In brief: Dry eyes!

Sounds like you have dry eyes.
Dr. Michael Ham
Dr. Michael Ham
2 comments
Dr. Daniel Schainholz
Crusty, dry eyelid skin might be a topical dermatitis. Crust in the morning may be related to blepharitis (eyelash dandruff). If this is a topical allergy, treatment with an anti-inflammatory/antibiotic combination creme on the lids can prevent permanent skin changes.
Dr. Michael Ham
Agree with Dr. Schainholtz. Great addition. It may also be allergic and exacerbated by your current treatment or something you are doing or in the environment (new laundry detergent??)
Dr. Steven Seres