How long does it take to recover from having a tummy tuck?

Dr. Timothy King
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: 3-6 weeks

I typically recommend that patients take off 1-2 weeks from work depending upon their line of work.
They then ease into activities during weeks 3-4 and work up to full activities by week 6. These are general guidelines. As every person is different, i recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon who can assess you as an individual and determine what your recovery will likely be.

In brief: 3-6 weeks

Dr. Timothy King
Dr. Timothy King
Dr. Barry Press
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: About two weeks, but

There is one specific limitation i place on my abdominoplasty patients: no heavy lifting for 6 weeks.
This is because the abdominal wall muscles are repaired and replaced to the midline with this operation. Functionally, this is like a hernia repair. 6 weeks is necessary to allow the repair to gain maximal strength, so no lifting that involves the core, no situps and no crunches for 6 weeks.

In brief: About two weeks, but

Dr. Barry Press
Dr. Barry Press
Dr. Francisco Agullo
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: 2 weeks

Most people return to normal, non-strenuous activity, in 2 weeks.

In brief: 2 weeks

Dr. Francisco Agullo
Dr. Francisco Agullo
Dr. Todd Sisto
Breast Surgery

In brief: Few days til shower

Few days for desk job 2 weeks or longer for physical work.
3 months before working abs.

In brief: Few days til shower

3 months before working abs.
Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. Scott Zevon
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: 6 weeks

Patients are often back to work at a desk job in 10 days.
Unrestricted activity at 6 weeks is typical.

In brief: 6 weeks

Dr. Scott Zevon
Dr. Scott Zevon
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Varies but 2 weeks

This varies tremendously from one individual to another; however, the average patient takes about 2 weeks to return to light duty type activiites.

In brief: Varies but 2 weeks

Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. ELizabeth Kinsley
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: 2-4 weeks

Typical patients return to a desk job in two weeks, while more strenuous activities may require 4-6 weeks before resumption.

In brief: 2-4 weeks

Dr. ELizabeth Kinsley
Dr. ELizabeth Kinsley
Dr. Ricardo Rodriguez
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: 3-6 weeks

I advise patients to take 3 weeks off from work.
Additionally, i ask patients not to drive for 3 weeks. If you were to press the brakes suddenly in this period you could pop sutures, so it is just a precaution. Some people do start working from home at 7-10 days. You should be able to resume regular work routine after 3 weeks. At 6 weeks you should be able to resume your full exercise routine.

In brief: 3-6 weeks

Dr. Ricardo Rodriguez
Dr. Ricardo Rodriguez