What acne scar treatment will work best for ice pick acne scars? I'm 23 and i hope my worst acne days are now over. I prefer to have an acne scar treatment treatment that will be fast and effective to remove this obviouse scarring.

Dr. Kenneth Stein
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Acne scars

For deep ice pick scars, the best treatment is excision and suture closure.
For more superficial scars, sometimes the scars can be released and fat injected deep to the scar. Frequently the surface can then be improved with laser resurfacing.

In brief: Acne scars

Dr. Kenneth Stein
Dr. Kenneth Stein
Dr. Thomas Lamperti
Facial Plastic Surgery

In brief: There

There are several treatments to help improve acne scars.
One common treatment used to improve the appearance of these acne scars is to do skin resurfacing. Resurfacing involves removing the outer layers of skin cell and then allowing new skin cells to reline the area giving a more smooth appearance. Ice pick scars have a relatively narrow base but are deep making it difficult to remove the surrounding skin cells deep enough to fully improve the scar. In my experience what works best in these situations is to directly excise the ice pick scars (as if you were removing a mole, for example). I usually allow these excision sites to heal and then perform a second stage resurfacing procedure to the affected areas of the face, though (since you were looking for a fast treatment) you don't necessarily have to do a second stage if you are happy with the improvement from the initial excision.

In brief: There

Dr. Thomas Lamperti
Dr. Thomas Lamperti