Could a acne scar treatment cause discoloration to my facial skin? I am considering having dermabrasion done to help diminish my acne scars. A friend of mine told me that this type of acne scar treatment can cause the skin to become discolored. Is this tr

Dr. John Minni
Dermatology

In brief: Depending

Depending on your skin type it is true that having dermabrasion can cause the skin to be discolored.

In brief: Depending

Dr. John Minni
Dr. John Minni
Dr. Thomas Lamperti
Facial Plastic Surgery

In brief: Scar

Scar dermabrasion does have a chance of leading to an increase or decrease in the pigmentation of the skin.
The risk of this happening depends most on how pigmented the skin is to begin with. The darker the skin the higher the risk of this happening.

In brief: Scar

Dr. Thomas Lamperti
Dr. Thomas Lamperti