I have a swollen tonsil and extreme pain. Should i go to the er? One of my tonsils is swollen, my throat is swollen, I am having a hard time breathing, massive headaches - shooting pains... Only on the right side of my head, heart flutters and shakes. I h

Dr. Michael Wolfe
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Trouble

Trouble breathing can be a scary symptom and an emergency.
If youfeel it is an emergency then definitely go to the er. A swollen tonsila nd sore throat can be as simple as a virus or can be serious. A full history would include how long youhave had these symptoms. If it is acute and accompanied by fever, then you should see a primary care doctor for a possible strep throat. You doctor can determine if this is appropriate. If it has been there longer than 2-3 weeks, is getting worse, you have other lumps int he neck, then you should go to your doctor to rule out other serious conditions.

In brief: Trouble

Dr. Thomas Lamperti
Facial Plastic Surgery

In brief: If

If you are having trouble breathing then it may be a good idea to go to an er (or urgent care clinic) to be seen sooner and to get an examination.

In brief: If

Dr. Eric Weisman