What are long term effects on an adult who may have had kawasaki disease as a child and was never treated. At 21 I had a mi at 25 chronic htn at 48 I had a stroke. My dr keep asking me about a rash when I was a child. One dr said I probably had undiagnose

Kawasaki. Kawasaki disease is a very rare and poorly understood disease that affects the blood vessel walls, the mucous membranes, and the lymph nodes in children under the age of 5. There is no specific test that leads to the diagnosis, rather there are a list of criteria that a patient must have to qualify for kawasaki disease. Treatment usually includes intravenous immunoglobulin (ivig), high dose Aspirin and sometimes steroids. Many patients will also be followed with heart ultrasounds every 1-2 years since 25% of kids will develop coronary aneurysms (bubbles in the walls of the heart's blood vessels). These aneurysms can cause a myocardial infarction (heart attack). That being said 99% of kids of with kawasaki disease completely recover with early detection and treatment. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.
Increases risk of MI. Some children who had kawasaki disease as a child will develop aneurysms (weakened blood vessels) in the blood vessels that supply the heart. These aneurysms put the children at risk of heart attacks at very young ages. There may be other reasons to have heart attacks at young age though, although this is one of the most common.