Should i be concerned if during a HSV 1 outbreak above my mouth, i visited my two week old niece?Worried about droplet infection i started applying zovirax ointment as soon as i felt tingling at the area. I washed my hands and stayed about two feet away

Dr. Prem Gupta
Neurology

In brief: Very little

Unless you kissed her or touched her lips or mouth with your contaminated hands, the chances of spreading to her is negligible.

In brief: Very little

Dr. Prem Gupta
Dr. Prem Gupta
Dr. Joy Jackson

In brief: HSV

Hsv type 1 is typically passed on by direct exposure to saliva and even droplets from breath.
The precautions you took should have been sufficient to protect the newborn from the virus. I am very impressed by your thoughtfulness in this matter. You would be surprised at the number of individuals that do not take these precautions, your niece is lucky to have someone that cares so much for her well being. There is still a significant chance that she will contract it at some point in her life, it is most commonly transmitted in childhood. Regardless you are doing the responsible thing.

In brief: HSV

Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Eric Weisman