Should i be concerned if during a HSV 1 outbreak above my mouth, i visited my two week old niece? I am concerned about droplet t i started applying zovirax ointment as soon as i felt tingling at the area. I washed my hands and stayed about two feet away

Dr. Prem Gupta
Neurology

In brief: Low likelihood

Unless you kissed the baby or touched her with contaminated hands at her mouth or lips, the chances of transmission are negligible.

In brief: Low likelihood

Dr. Prem Gupta
Dr. Prem Gupta
Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: Cold

Cold sores or fever blisters are caused by herpes simplex virus type 1 (hsv-1) and are extremely common.
By the time people reach adulthood, 70-90% of them have been exposed to hsv-1. Most people become infected as an infant or small child when kissed or by sharing eating utensils with an adult who has the virus. The virus is most contagious when someone has a cold sore, but can still be passed along by someone who does not. Many people do not even know that they are infected because the virus can "hide out" in the nerve cells for very long periods of time - for some people it hides out forever and they never get a cold sore. For others, the virus can "wake up" and that's when a cold sore happens. No one knows exactly what causes a cold sore to appear - sometimes stress, illness, fevers, colds, sunlight, cold weather, menstruation, certain foods, allergies, you name it! they usually last 7-10 days and are more of an annoyance than a danger unless you have a weakened immune system or contract a bacterial infection on top of the cold sore. As long as you practice good hand washing and do not kiss or share utensils with the child, you are minimizing her exposure.

In brief: Cold

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen