What are some possible explanations for my left pupil not dilating? My left eye does not take in as much light as my right eye in the dark. I did some experiments and made some observations that the left pupil does not dilate.

Dr. Harold Peltan
Ophthalmology

In brief: Several possibilitie

There are several possibilities.
Two are old trauma or previous infection that has scarred your iris to your lens. The rest are neurological conditions that need to be sorted out by your specialist eye md (ophthalmologist). Your baseline condition is called anisocoria, which simply means pupils of different sizes.

In brief: Several possibilitie

There are several possibilities.
Dr. Harold Peltan
Dr. Harold Peltan
Dr. Ajay Gupta
Ophthalmology

In brief: There

There are many possible causes for poor dilation.
In some cases, poor dilation may be a sign of a serious medical problem. An examination is necessary for an accurate diagnosis. Possible causes include a physiologically small pupil (normal for you), effect of a medication, synechiae (scarring of the iris many times due to intraocular inflammation), or a horner's syndrome (dysfunction of the sympathetic of flight-or-fight system). I recommend you see an ophthalmologist for further evaluation.

In brief: There

Dr. Ajay Gupta
Dr. Ajay Gupta
Dr. Steven Seres