Am i allergic to coffee or caffeine? I've noticed that depending on what kind of coffee i consume my face and scalp can get itchy and i feel like i may be having a minor allergic reaction. I notice it most when i drink a large drip coffee from starbucks o

Dr. Jack Mutnick
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Adverse reaction

Eliminate the coffee from your diet but consider keeping caffeine (soda pop, chocolate) in the diet to see if it is the coffee.
If it persists, it might be the caffeine. If it resolves, consider trying the coffee again or a different brand in 4-6 weeks to see if this recurs.

In brief: Adverse reaction

Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Mary Engrav
Emergency Medicine

In brief: If

If you are feeling itchy and like you are having an allergic reaction, then you most likely are.
It may be from either the coffee or from something the coffee was processed with. As allergic reactions can get worse over time, be very cautions, and if you have hives, any shortness of breath, or lip or throat swelling then you must be seen immediately.

In brief: If

Dr. Mary Engrav
Dr. Mary Engrav