Question regarding a standard RPR test does an RPR test effectively detect any strains of the herpes viruses?

Dr. Amar Ashraf
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: No

Rpr test done for syphilis.
It does not detect or tells about herpes infection. Serologic test or culture can tell about herpes infection.

In brief: No

Rpr test done for syphilis.
Dr. Amar Ashraf
Dr. Amar Ashraf
Dr. Joy Jackson

In brief: No

No it does not detect any herpes virus as far as I am aware.
The RPR test otherwise known as rapid plasma reagin is a test that checks the patient's blood for non-specific antibodies against the organism that causes syphilis (treponema pallidum). Herpes testing is usually done two ways. The first being a culture of the actual herpes lesion, which reveals if herpes virus is present, but does not differentiate the type. The second test being a blood test that detects antibodies against herpes type 1 and herpes type 2 virus.

In brief: No

Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Joy Jackson