How do I get rid of veracose veins and spider veins? I am a runner and veracose veins/spider veins run in my family. I have recently gotten them around my knees and i don't want my legs to look like my mothers. What do I do?

Dr. John Landi
Phlebology

In brief: Have a vein eval.

There is a strong hereditary component to varicose veins and the pounding from running in the presence of refluxing valves will most likely worsen the vein problem. You should be seen by a vein specialist and have a reflux venous ultrasound to diagnose the location of the refluxing valves and help to formulate a plan of treatment.
Once the valves are sealed you should be able to resume running.

In brief: Have a vein eval.

Dr. John Landi
Dr. John Landi
Dr. Ted King
Phlebology

In brief: See vein specialist

As drs. Bauer and stein said, the best thing to do is to see a vein specialist.
You need an ultrasound evaluation to detemine the extent of your vein disease, especially underneath the skin. Then a treatment plan can be put together for best addressing your venous pathology. Treatment could include endovenous thermal ablation, sclerotherapy, and/or phlebectomy. These procedures are well tolerated.

In brief: See vein specialist

Dr. Ted King
Dr. Ted King
Dr. Kenneth Stein
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Vein treatment

If you have spider veins, they can be treated with sclerotherapy (injections) or laser.
If you have varicose veins you need to see a vein specialist and you may need endovenous laser treatment or an ambulatory phlebectomy.

In brief: Vein treatment

Dr. Kenneth Stein
Dr. Kenneth Stein
Dr. Jason Bauer
Radiology - Interventional

In brief: Varicose

Varicose veins are an issue for many people so you are not alone.
Fortunately, there are excellent physicans in most areas who specialize in their treatment. Keep in mind that many insurance companies do not pay for cosmetic treatment. Symptoms such as burning, itching, heaviness, and pain are common. The first step is to have an ultrasound performed by or under the direction of a vascular/venous expert. This evaluates the cause and anatomy of your varicose veins. Then a treatment plan can be developed. Commonly conservative methods must be used first incuding graded class ii or class iii compression prior to venous ablation or sclerosis. Treatments are highly effective when perfomed based on a plan. What you see is not necessarily what needs to be treated but rather the truncal veins of the superficial venous system. Vascular and interventional radiologists, phlebologists, and surgeons may be physicians in your area who specialize in vein treament and have clinics where you can be evaluated. Check www.Sirweb.Org, or www.Phlebology.Org.

In brief: Varicose

Dr. Jason Bauer
Dr. Jason Bauer
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery