Do you go under for eyelid surgery, or do they just numb your eyes?

Dr. Todd Sisto
Breast Surgery

In brief: Either

Going under anaesthesia is more expensive but more pleasant.

In brief: Either

Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. Todd Sisto
2 comments
Dr. Mike Bowman
In any case, eyelid surgery should be painless.
Dr. Marguerite Barnett
Many would disagree with general being more pleasant. Some suffer from side effects of the anesthesia. Most patients i do have local with sedation so they're not so nervous. We joke and talk and they often tell me how much they enjoy our time together! i don't get that with my patients who go under!
Dr. Jeffrey Pollard
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Upper or Lower?

I perform all of my upper eyelid blepharoplasty procedures under a local anesthesia in the comfort of my office.
Lower lid procedures (particularly ones performed from the inside of the eyelid) are best performed with some more sedation (iv or general). That being said, my partner does do some lower blephs under local in the office.

In brief: Upper or Lower?

Dr. Jeffrey Pollard
Dr. Jeffrey Pollard
Dr. Mike Bowman
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Anesthetic options

Blepharoplasty can be performed with local anesthetic alone (numbing shots), or with the addition of oral or IV medications to help with anxiety and pain.
If other procedures are performed, general anesthetic is an option. Your surgeon can tell you what he/she usually recommends. Best wishes.

In brief: Anesthetic options

Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. ELizabeth Kinsley
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Either

Most lid surgeries can be done under local, some patients prefer to be put to sleep for it.

In brief: Either

Dr. ELizabeth Kinsley
Dr. ELizabeth Kinsley
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Up:yes/ lower:rarely

For upper eyelids, local is commonly used alone and/or with sedation.
Some surgeons prefer local with ptosis repair. Lower eyelids tend to be more invasive and therefore sedation or general is more commonly used.

In brief: Up:yes/ lower:rarely

Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Annette Occhialini
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Local usually

This is typically done under local anesthesia but often augmented with sedation.

In brief: Local usually

Dr. Annette Occhialini
Dr. Annette Occhialini
Dr. Darab Hormozi
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Usually local

Eyelid surgery can be performed under strict local anesthesia.
General anesthesia is usually reserved for children and mentally handicap patient due to their lack of cooperation.

In brief: Usually local

Dr. Darab Hormozi
Dr. Darab Hormozi
Dr. Timothy King
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Depends

It depends on your surgeon and the procedure that you are having.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Timothy King
Dr. Timothy King