Liposuction question is the removal of belly fat by liposuction ever done under local anesthetics?

Dr. Adam Rubinstein
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Liposuction

Liposuction can be done under local anesthesia.
The real question is whether or not you really want it done under local anesthesia. Generally speaking, every procedure we do can be done under local. However, general anesthesia is used by many surgeons to make the patient as comfortable as possible. Patients have absolutely no pain with general anesthesia during the procedure. They also do not remember any portion of the procedure. With local you would be fully awake for the entire procedure and may have moments where you do feel pain. Also, in order to keep you comfortable you might need a large amount of local which may approach or exceed the usual limits of that medication. In my practice, unless we are planning one small area, i recommend general anesthesia for my patients' comfort. I hope this info helps!

In brief: Liposuction

Dr. Robert Brueck
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Abdominal

Abdominal fat from around the belly button can be removed with only local .
It cannot be the whole abdomen.There is only so much Lidocaine or numbing m, edicine that can be injected at one time.

In brief: Abdominal

Dr. Robert Hardesty
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: The

The short answer is yes.
What limits the amount of fat removed is determined by the amount of local numbing medicine we can safely give. Sometimes we will do several sessions days apart to avoid general anthesia. .

In brief: The

The short answer is yes.
Dr. Gregory Laurence
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: Old

Old fashioned liposuction without local anesthesia is a dinosaur. Almost all doctors place anesthesia fluid into the fat for three reasons.
First, to cause blood loss to be close to zero. It is not uncommon for us to remove 2 liters of fat with less than a tablespoon of blood loss. Second, the special local fluid prevents the shifting of fluids and salt balance in your body. Third, special anesthesia fluid can make your post-op recovery easy, some patients without pain or bruising whatsoever. The main question to ask your doctor is: do you place a small amount of local (called superwet anesthesia) or a large amount (called tumescent technique). The second consideration regards your awareness and anxiety. Doctors will often give choices. Examples (from less strong to more strong) are oral valium (so-called “awake” procedure), im valium shot, intravenous IV sedation (sleepy but arousable), and general anesthesia. All options are safe for most patients, but different patients might strongly prefer one or the other option. Best rule of thumb: always use local anesthesia with liposuction, and let goldilocks determine the individual approach to anesthesia, not too much, not too little, just the right amount!

In brief: Old

Dr. Vikram Patel