I have hsv-2 genital herpes. I have never had a breakout. I want a rhinoplasty done. Will this cause a breakout? I have read surgeries can lead to "breakouts"/"recurrences". I have never had a breakout.

Dr. Tanveer Janjua
Facial Plastic Surgery

In brief: Rhino and HSV-2

Rhinoplasty can increase the risk of hsv-1 only and not hsv-2.

In brief: Rhino and HSV-2

Dr. Tanveer Janjua
Dr. Tanveer Janjua
Dr. Burke Chegar
Facial Plastic Surgery

In brief: Not typically

Any form or "stress" can induce an hsv outbreak but unless the procedure causes direct trauma to the sensory nerves that contain the virus, then the likelihood of outbreak is low.

In brief: Not typically

Dr. Burke Chegar
Dr. Burke Chegar
Dr. Barry Cohen
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: No impact

Other than slight increase stress of surgery causing an outbreak.

In brief: No impact

Dr. Barry Cohen
Dr. Barry Cohen
Dr. Joy Jackson

In brief: I'm

I'm assuming if you have never had a break out and were diagnosed with hsv-2, it was done through a simple blood test.
Assuming this to be true, then you have in fact been exposed to the virus, and are at risk for an outbreak at any time. Basically the virus lies dormant (asleep) in your nerves, and can be activated by situations involving increased stress or anxiety. A surgery is definitely a stressor and can cause the virus to be re-activated so to speak thus causing an outbreak. There is no certain way to know if you will have a breakout following the surgery, but do know that it is a possibility. Herpes is very common, and there are many effective treatments if or when you get the actual lesions. Your primary care provider will be able to give you the appropriate treatment if needed. Good luck.

In brief: I'm

Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. David Sherris
Facial Plastic Surgery

In brief: Not likely

Not likely but if you are concerned you could take a prophylactic antiviral medication around the surgery.

In brief: Not likely

Dr. David Sherris
Dr. David Sherris
Dr. Jane Van Dis