Kidney cancer should I have surgery without a biopsy? The doctor recently found a growth on my kidney. I had an mri, cat, blood test and chest x-ray. No blood or protein in urine. The doctor wants to do surgery and remove all of the kidney as well. I've p

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge

In brief: BIopsies

Biopsies are not often used to diagnose kidney tumors.
The imaging studies you underwent (ct scan and mri) can provide sufficient information for a surgeon to decide if an operation is needed. A ct scan is one of the most useful imaging studies for detected kiney tumors because it gives the surgeon detailed/precise information in terms of size, location and shape of the tumor. A ct scan can also help to determine if the cancer has spread to other parts of the body. An MRI provides detailed images of the soft tissue and vessels in the body and can also be helpful in determining if the cancer has spread. Biopsies are only done on kidney tumors if the information provided in a ct scan was inconclusive. Your surgeon has enough information from the imaging studies to make valid recommendations for surgery.

In brief: BIopsies

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Kurt Muetterties
Radiology - Interventional

In brief: Usually no biopsy

Many masses of the kidney do not require a tissue sample (bx) before tx.
A solid renal mass is almost always cancer. Mri is very accurate in determining whether a kidney mass is solid, and this can eliminate the need for another procedure. When imaging is indeterminate or if lymphoma is suspected, a bx may be needed. But, most small cancers can now be cured w/o removal of kidney. Get 2nd opinion.

In brief: Usually no biopsy

Dr. Kurt Muetterties
Dr. Kurt Muetterties
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery