Do I need to wait after a tummy tuck to get pregnant?

Dr. Jon Perlman
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Why proceed?
It makes little sense to me and i advise my patients against having a tummy tuck if they plan on a pregnancy.
Why tighten things before a pregnancy that is likely to reverse some of the benefits of the procedure? A more commonly asked question is whether you can get pregnant after a tummy tuck and the answer is yes you can. Get through your pregnancy (s) and then consider a tuck! good luck.

In brief: Why proceed?
Dr. Jon Perlman
Dr. Jon Perlman
Dr. Steven Harris
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Where to begin!
Ideally, no one should have a tummy tuck unless their family is complete.
It makes no sense to tighten the abdominal muscles and then stretch them out again with another preganancy! if the "tummy tuck" you had was only skin and fat removal, without tightening the muscles, the pregnancy will probably proceed unaffected, but please discuss this with your plastic surgeon and your gynecologist!

In brief: Where to begin!
Dr. Steven Harris
Dr. Steven Harris
Dr. Mario Diana
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Rock on!
If you have had a tummy tuck and you want to get pregnant it would be best that you were completely healed (6 months or longer).
I know of some women who had tummy tucks (witch hazel) and then were pregnant within a few months who delivered without problems. On the other hand, i would not plan on having a tummy tuck if you are going to get pregnant again... What is the point?

In brief: Rock on!
Dr. Mario Diana
Dr. Mario Diana
Dr. ELizabeth Kinsley
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Not necessarily
I have young patients who have had babies that are not planning on another pregnancy for many years.
In these cases i will do a "skin only" tummy tuck" and leave the muscle alone. This gets rid of excess skin, has a quicker recovery, and doesn't interfere with pregnancies later in life.

In brief: Not necessarily
Dr. ELizabeth Kinsley
Dr. ELizabeth Kinsley
Dr. John Di Saia
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Wait...
If you are planning more children, wait on the tummy tuck.
It will turn out better and have a lesser chance of problems and the need for more surgery after the pregnancy.

In brief: Wait...
Dr. John Di Saia
Dr. John Di Saia
Dr. Robert Stroup
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Wait until healed
This is an unusual question.
Most women have tummy tucks (witch hazel) after they have had children, to correct the body changes from pregnancy. Whatever...If you have had a tummy tuck and want to get pregnant, i recommend you wait until everything is completely healed - about 6 months. Be aware, you will be undoing what the tummy tuck has done.

In brief: Wait until healed
This is an unusual question.
Dr. Robert Stroup
Dr. Robert Stroup
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Tuck before pregnant
The easy answer is yes.
However, I have had occasion to perform this prior to pregnancy in cases of massive weight loss or following multiple surgeries in the form of a large scar revision and occasionally in men. Tummy tucks (witch hazel) may require treatment of skin, muscle and fat. In some instances, young individuals may present with a muscle separation known as a diastasis which can be repaired.

In brief: Tuck before pregnant
The easy answer is yes.
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Richard Baxter
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Don't do it
It is best to wait until you are completely done having children before having a tummy tuck.
It won't interfere with the pregnancy but will undo all of the benefits of having the tummy tuck!

In brief: Don't do it
Dr. Richard Baxter
Dr. Richard Baxter
Dr. Todd Sisto
Breast Surgery
In brief: Don't have a tummy
Tuck until after if you know you're going to get pregnant.

In brief: Don't have a tummy
Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. Timothy King
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Why the tummy tuck?
Getting pregnant after a tummy tuck will likely ruin the results that you would get from the tummy tuck and it is likely that it will need to be redone after the pregnancy is over. It would likely be better to have all of your children and then have a tummy tuck.
I recommend talking to your board certified plastic surgeon about the best treatment plan for you.

In brief: Why the tummy tuck?
Dr. Timothy King
Dr. Timothy King
Dr. Jane Van Dis