Had a bump on my leg since aug. 15, 2011 how concerned should I be about it. On aug. 15, 2011 i banged my lower leg (above the ankle) with a heavy dining room chair while moving the chair, it immediately swelled up to golf ball size, i still have the bump

Dr. Michael Adams
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Is it Painful?

Most soft tissue contusions are benign, however, there have been instances where malignancies have occurred and been ignored because they arose in an area that was treated as "just a contusion.
" if it remains as large as a golfball after several years, and is painful, the safest bet would be to see your physician and at the very least have an x-ray taken.

In brief: Is it Painful?

Dr. Michael Adams
Dr. Michael Adams
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge

In brief: You

You may have chipped (albeit a very small chip) the bone of your tibia.
In this case, tissue will form around the small piece of bone, and simultaneously swelling will occur as the tibia repairs itself. Another possibility is that a hematoma may have formed, where bleeding may have occured at the sire of the injury due to broken vessels. Cold compress and otc antiinflammatories can help remedy a blood clot, to help reduce swelling, as well as gentle massage to help disperse the clot. Being that this bump has been there for about a month, it is prudent to have your leg assessed by your doctor to ensure there is not a hairline fracture present.

In brief: You

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Jack Hinkle