How does cortisone injection affect periods? I have taken cortisone steroid injection a week before for my shoulder impingement problem and I still have my periods running from past 13 days. I am thinking this could be the side effect of this injection.

Cortisone . Cortisone injections can disrupt the complex hormonal regulation of the menstrual cycle, resulting in abnormality. Many woman have reported a period that are prolonged and heavier than usual. Also, your period may recur earlier than usual. It is prudent that you let your doctor know that you are experiencing thsi side effect. Other side effects of cortisone injections include weight gain, localized tissue reaction (shrinking tissue and abnormal skin color) at the needle puncture site, a higher risk of infection at the insertion site and weakened tendons at the site (whoch typically resolves).