Is crixivan (indinavir) safe for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding?

Dr. Megan Bird

There is little evidence that it causes problems in women.
There are some studies of eye problems in animals. On the other hand, it treats HIV which can both help the mother and prevent HIV from spreading to the baby. Overall, the benefits of taking indinavir are in taking it if you have HIV infection.

Dr. Megan Bird
Dr. Megan Bird
Dr. Joel Gallant
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: No

Crixivan (indinavir) is an old HIV drug that is rarely used today because of its toxicity.
I would not recommend it for pregnant women, or for anyone else. The drugs in the same class that are currently recommended for pregnant women are kaletra (lopinavir and ritonavir) and Reyataz (always given in combination with other drugs).

In brief: No

Dr. Joel Gallant
Dr. Joel Gallant