How can I tell if I have cancer in my throat my voice is extremally hoarse and sore my brother had cancer in his voice box and my nephew died recently of throat cancer i've had this condition for about three months i also feel tired frequenly and don't fe

Dr. Lawrence Hochman
Radiation Oncology

In brief: Visit an ENT

A full evaluation from an ear nose and throat specialist will include a visualization of the throat with a scope done in the office.
This is the best way to start an evaluation.

In brief: Visit an ENT

Dr. Lawrence Hochman
Dr. Lawrence Hochman
Dr. Roya Mansouri
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: The

The only way to determine whether the cause of your hoarseness and throat pain is from cancer is to be examined by a physician who can look in your throat - usually this is an ENT (ear, nose, throat) physician.
Cancer of the throat is most often related to a history of tobacco and alcohol use, although genetics does play a role. It is very important you see a physician immediately, especially if you have the following: hoarseness that has lasted for several months and is not improving, throat pain, trouble swallowing, pain with swallowing, ear pain, a palpable lump in the neck, shortness of breath, symptoms not improving or worsening, you smoke and/or drink, and fatigue. Many people are hesitant to see a physician because they fear what will be done at the visit and they are very anxious about their diagnosis. However, the sooner you are seen, the sooner your problem, whether it is cancer or not, can be treated. In addition, many cancers of the throat can be treated successfully, especially if caught early enough.

In brief: The

Dr. Roya Mansouri
Dr. Roya Mansouri