Can a benign tumor become malignant over time? I had a mass on my thyroid checked out about 4 years ago, and the biopsy turned out clean. Now it appears the mass has grown. Haven't had a second biopsy yet, but was wondering if a mass that was once determi

Dr. Stanley Schwartz
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

Growth worrisome, that's why they recommend re-biopsy.

Dr. Stanley Schwartz
Dr. Stanley Schwartz
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge

In brief: A

A benign tumor is a tumor that lack the ability to spread or 'metastasize.
' most benign tumors will not cause problems. Some tumors have abnormal cell growths made up of several sub populations of cells, which can later give rise to a malignant cell growth. So yes, a benign tumor can give rise to a malignant tumor. Any changes to your existing tumor (such as growth) needs to be assessed by a doctor to investigate if the new growth is cancerous.

In brief: A

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Shontae Buffington