Is liquid melatonin safe for a two year old autistic child who has problems going to sleep? I want to use an herbal treatment, this was recommended by a pediatrician, but have read articles stating not to do so....

Dr. Zoey Goore

In brief: Melatonin

Liquid melatonin is safe for kids and a great idea for kids with sleep onset problems (kids who cannot fall asleep).
Dose can be anywhere from 3-10mg. Some kids need it an hour before bed, some kids need it up to three hours before bed. There are also teas with melatonin if your child doesn't like the liquid.

In brief: Melatonin

Dr. Zoey Goore
Dr. Zoey Goore
Dr. Neeta Jain
Sometimes chammomile tea works
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

In brief: I waited 3 years to

Start using melatonin for sleep in kids with asd' & adhd.
The first 2-year safety study was from holland & much of the lierature is from europe. I've not had any patients with acute or long-term side-effects. It's the one medication i start high-like 2-3 mg. 30 min. Before desired bedtime for a 2-yr.-old for 3 months, then reduce it by 1 mg/month till gone. In my experience, it works well.

In brief: I waited 3 years to

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Neeta Jain
Have used melatonin extensively for my ADHD and autistic patients. It works well has not had side effects in the patients I have prescribed
Dr. Tanya Russo

1-3 mg of high quality melatonin should be safe to use in your toddler. Quality sleep is quite important.

Dr. Tanya Russo
Dr. Tanya Russo
Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: At

At this time there are no guidelines for melatonin usage in individuals with autism spectrum disorders.
That being said, there are numerous studies showing that people with autism may in fact have lower levels of melatonin than the average person. Multiple small studies have demonstrated that melatonin in small doses (2mg to 10mg), can benefit kids with autism who have trouble falling alseep or maintaining sleep. Using melatonin for sleep is likely safer than any other sleep aid. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.

In brief: At

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen