I was just told CKD what questions do I need to ask a doctor? I have slightly elivated potassium and diabetes. What should I know before my next appointment?

Dr. Jeffrey Unger

In brief: CKD

What are your glycemic, blood pressure and LDL targets.
Should you be on aspirin? Are you anemic? Do any doses of your meds need adjusting? How is your parathyroid level? What dose if vitamin d3 should you take?

In brief: CKD

Dr. Jeffrey Unger
Dr. Jeffrey Unger
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge

In brief: Chronic

Chronic kidney disease is a progressive loss of kidney function over a period of months or years.
You will want to know what stage of the disease you are in, 1-5, because the treatment regimen will be directed at trying to ensure your body does not progress to stage 5 (end stage renal failure, requiring renal replacement therapy/dialysis.) many physicians will work with you to control hypertension, identify healthy life styles and a diet regimen that will help you protect your kidneys. Also, your doctor may wish to follow up with you often to check your electrolyte and creatinine levels to track your condition. Ask your doctor about diet, foods to avoid, medications to control hypotension, signs and symptoms of renal failure and when to seek medical attention.

In brief: Chronic

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Andrea Brand