How long do I have to wait? How long do I have to wait to get an ultrasound and find out the sex?

Dr. James Stone
Radiology - Interventional

In brief: 18-22 weeks

18-22 weeks

In brief: 18-22 weeks

18-22 weeks
Dr. Joy Jackson

In brief: Most

Most ob/gyn doctors wait at least until week 16 before trying to determine the sex via ultrasound.
Keep in mind there are other factors to consider, namely position. If the baby is in an unfavorable position, then it may be difficult to tell the sex regardless of how many weeks you are into the pregnancy. On another note;if for some other reason you and your doctor have decided on amniocentesis, which is usually done around week 12 or 13, the sex can be determined this way through chromosomal analysis, in addition to detecting chromosomal defects for which the test was intended to detect.

In brief: Most

Dr. Peter Kurzweil