Best exercise routine for individuals with joint pain? I would like to know what type/kind of exercise i can do for overall health, toning and sculpting. I have a medical condition (mixed connective tissue disorder) that doesn't allow me to do high impact

Dr. James Sterner
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Elliptical?

Try using an elliptical machine, or doing water exercise.

In brief: Elliptical?

Dr. James Sterner
Dr. James Sterner
Dr. Marlis Gonzalez fernandez
Using a recumbent (sitting) bicycle can be another possibility
Dr. Joy Jackson

In brief: You

You are correct in that swimming would be beneficial given your condition and history; so much so that you may want to consider taking swimming lessons.
Also you could try water aerobics in shallow water, as well as walk/jog in the pool, of course all water activity should be done while wearing a life vest! another option would be to hire a personal trainer that specializes in clients with special needs. A custom fit training regimen could be designed to fit your specific situation and goals. Good luck!

In brief: You

Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine