Do floaters (in vision) pose a a health risk or sight-loss risk? My family has a history of macular degeneration, I am 20, and especially in bright conditions i notice frequent floaters in my field of vision

Dr. Inna Ozerov
Ophthalmology

In brief: Floaters

Floaters are a common occurrence and generally do not pose much risk.
However, anyone who develops new onset of floaters or if the floaters worsen, must have a full dilated exam by an ophthalmologist. Given your age, the likelihood of retinal pathology is low, but if you are concerned, schedule an appointment with your doctor.

In brief: Floaters

Dr. Inna Ozerov
Dr. Inna Ozerov
Dr. Colin McCannel
Ophthalmology - Retinal Surgery

In brief: Yes and no

Floaters can lead to retinal detachment if td they are associated with a retinal tear. Please keep in mind that floaters are no always a sign of retinal tears.
But only an eye doctor can tell for sure. There is no association between macular degeneration and vitreous detachment, other than perhaps age.

In brief: Yes and no

Dr. Colin McCannel
Dr. Colin McCannel
Dr. Sami Kamjoo
Ophthalmology - Retinal Surgery

Floaters are usually due to the vitreous jelly in the eye liquefying, leaving behind clumps of debris that cause the floaters.
Floaters with or without flashing lights can be a symptom of a retinal tear, which can lead to a retinal detachment and possible loss of vision. You need to be seen by a retina specialist if you have new onset of floaters.

Dr. Sami Kamjoo
Dr. Sami Kamjoo
Dr. Arnon Rubin