Is the IUD supposed to make me bleed for 2 weeks at a time? I used to get my period for six days like clock work, now when I get it its for 2 weeks at a time. Not as heavy but still average. Is this normal? I was told it was supposed to lighten and shorte

There . There are two types of iud's; the copper(paragard), which is for10years, or the Mirena (levonorgestrel) which is hormone based, and for 5 years. Typically the copper iud causes longer heavier periods, whereas the Mirena (levonorgestrel) tends to cause shorter lighter periods, and in some cases absence of periods. If you have the mirena, (levonorgestrel) then this pattern of menstruation that you are having may change with time. If you have the copper this may very well be your new pattern of menstruation. You should consult your doctor about this issue, and also be evaluated for anemia (low iron) which can be a side effect of prolonged bleeding.