Will my child's severe asthma extend into adulthood? I'm worried that my son will not be able to live a normal adult life. He's already ended up in the hospital several times because his asthma was so bad.

Not necessarily. Asthma does sometimes spill over into adulthood but just as often it can subside to a point where there are no attacks (it never really goes completely away). This is something to discus with your child's pediatrician.
Maybe. I met the worst case I ever followed at 8 mo and he taught me a lot. Tried to die 3 times. Yearly goals were first to stay out of the ICU, then stay out of the hospital. He became a jock, lettered in several sports and is now a successful coach. Luckily his kids didn't get asthma. It can look /feel bad while you are living with it but I never loose faith in these kids. Hang in there.
Asthma. Asthma is a disease caused by swelling and inflammation of the airways causing decreased air flow in and out of the lungs. The good news is that as children grow, so do their lungs and ariways so that the swelling that happens with an asthma attack affects them less and less. In fact, many of the symptoms occur less often or disappear completely as the child grows up. However, it is important to make sure your child's asthma is managed properly to prevent permanent worsening of lung function. The best way to do this is to avoid triggers if they are known such as cigarette smoke and to follow the asthma plan set up by your doctor. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.